I don’t usually post recipes, but I figured this was as good a time as any to share one of my favorites with you!
Food bloggers are getting together today and posting their favorite comfort meal recipes in support of Hurricane Sandy Relief. The concept is to share a recipe that you find comforting and would bring to a friend or neighbor in crisis to raise their spirits.
One of my favorite recipes is one I veganized from Real Simple Magazine quite a while ago that we include in our regular recipe rotation in our home. It’s coconut creamy, comforting, quick, super easy and really yummy.
If you haven’t done so already, please donate to help with the Hurricane Sandy Relief efforts. Every little bit helps.
Coconut Rice with Winter Squash
- 3 cups rice- I like to use leftover rice or make it in advance of putting the recipe together.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 block of firm tofu- I use the silken kind for a stir-fried egg-type texture.
- pinch of turmeric
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed*
- kosher salt
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Prepare the rice according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, place the squash in a saucepan, cover with water, and boil until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat half the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Crumble the tofu, add it to the pan and cook, stirring, until it’s lightly browned. Add the pinch of turmeric and mix to make the tofu yellow and give it a scrambled egg look. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil and the onion to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the squash, rice, edamame, and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring gently, until heated through and all the liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add the scallions and tofu, toss, and serve.
*My photo above doesn’t include the edamame because when I made it this week I forgot that I ran out of my freezer stash. I recommend if you have it adding it to the dish, it really makes it.
What’s your favorite comfort meal?