I think I'm pretty well set for spring of 2014, though several of the items I got are basics so I may or may not replace it with another item if I come across something I absolutely love.
Here's my five so far for spring/summer:
- A pair of birkenstock like sandals. Mine are from Zara and I love that they are a more minimal take on the trend. I had said earlier I wanted a sandal that followed a trend and these were perfect.
- Two new bikini's (I'm counting these as one purchase). My old ones were busted and I really needed new ones for this spring and summer. I went with leopard and black so I can mix and mach them.
- A pair of leopard track pants. I bought these while in South America this past February. They were in the window and I just HAD to have them. I haven't gotten to wear them just yet, but once it gets warmer out I'll be living in these.
- A new trench coat. I've been wanting a classic style one for a long time, so I finally found this Zara one on eBay and bit the bullet. This is a basic though so I won't limit myself and may replace it with something else.
- Plain, mid-heeled boots. These were more of a winter purchase though I knew they'd get me into spring. I've worn these almost daily since I got them in February. They literally go with everything! I may purchase a second pair just so I have them for one the current ones wear out. These are also a basic, so I may not include these as part of my current 5 come summer.
I also followed through on my quest for a minimalist wardrobe, and succeeded to whittling down my closet to only 60 pieces. I'm not joking. My goal was 50 pieces but 60 is where I got to and I'm happy with that. This number doesn't include PJ's, unmentionables or work out clothing but does include everything else. To be honest I absolutely love my new closet. It's way easier to get dressed in the morning having less choices believe it or not. It's also made me be more creative with how I layer and pair what I have.
After living with the new 60 piece wardrobe for the past few months I think I may have a need for more loose, breezy summer dresses. Most of what I have are bodycon which is the last thing I want to wear when it's hot out. So I may replace my trench or boots in this round-up with two new dresses. I have time to decide on them though. I also think I may start looking for some delicate, minimalist jewelry pieces. Luckily jewelry and accessories doesn't count on this method so that should tide me over on my shopping fixes.
All in all so far this method has really made me reconsider how I shop. I'm much more mindful of my purchases. Since I only get 5 every 6 months, I need to be sure what I get will go with everything in my closet. So it's eliminated impulse purchases. Because of this I've also been able to splurge on more expensive, higher quality items because I'm not impulsively shopping all the time. I love it!
Stay tuned for my French 5 Piece Wardrobe summer update in the next few months. I'll keep you posted on where I'm at.